Friday, April 8, 2011

SQLRally Day Two

I'm guessing day two will be a difficult day after a night enjoying the sites and sounds of Orlando. I plan on trying to pace myself but I've never been to good at doing so in the past.  These are the sessions I intend to participate in:

8:30 -  I plan to attend Kendra Little's presentation "Big and Tall: When to Partition".  The reason is two-fold. I'd like to see Kendra present and I learned yesterday I'll be heading up a project to configure a 10 TB SQL database which will contain PACS data. I see partitioning in my future.
9:40 - "SQL Server Troubleshooting via DMV's" by Steve Schneider.  I'm always excited about learning the ins and outs of DMVs. I hate to admit it but I don't use them enough. Bad DBA!
11:15 - Since my presentation is about managing large number of servers I have to go to John Sterrett's presentation "Evaluate Your Daily Checklist Against 100+ Instances of SQL Server While You Get a Cup of Coffee".  My only regret is that John's presentation isn't before mine so I can't steal any of his material. Just kidding John.
1:50 - After a lunch of dead cow and fried bacon I'll attend Thomas Grohser's "SQL Server Storage Engine Under the Hood: How SQL Server performs IO".  I rarely have time on my own to dive deep into the database engine black box so I hope to take this opportunity to have the material forcibly injected into my skull.
3:00 - Ed Wilson's "Windows PowerShell Best Practices for SQL DBA's". This should be a good compliment to Aaron's presentation. After both sessions I intend to be able to write a 1,000 lines of PowerShell code Friday night in my hotel room.
4:35 - Lastly I'll be at Jeremiah Peschka's "Fundamentals of SQL Server Internals".  I'm due for a refresher course especially since none of the previous stuff I've learned has managed to be retained in my brain.

That's it. Now that I put it all down in writing is seems like one heck of worldwind of knowledge. It'll be fun. I'm already stocking up on Four Loco!  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment