Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Red Gate's Exceptional DBA Award

Along with 4 other DBA's I received notice of my esteemed spot as a finalist for RedGate's Exceptional DBA Award.  It reminds of the time I watched the show on the Discovery Channel where they film the Navy Seals training. One of the best lines in the show is when the Instructors ask the candidates what second place is and they all reply "First Loser! Sir!".  Well, there are times when being second place, or third, or fourth, or even fifth isn't all that bad.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love nothing more than to win. Both for the honor and acknowledgement of years of hard work but also for the opportunity to go to PASS which I've never been able to attend. I met tons of great people at the SQLRally and it would be great to see them again and meet new friends.  I also spent an interesting time in my life in Seattle. I lived downtown, worked as a concrete finisher, and basically starved. But it was a great place and I'd love to see how it changed.

There's some fantastic competition which makes being a finalist all that more exciting. Colin Stasiuk is extremely active in the community and already has a wonderful following that is hard to compete against.  There is also Tom Hill who I actually had the pleasure of working with at Anheuser-Busch and he also worked with many of my friends at Monsanto and they all have good things to say about him. I wish all the candidates the best of luck.

As for me, please go to the RedGate website and take a look.  Hopefully you'll see a word or phrase or something familiar in my experiences which may help win your vote.  Oh, also, if you vote for me and I end up winning - talk to me and we'll have a beer at PASS. :)

VOTE FOR PEDRO (OR SCOTT)

No comments:

Post a Comment